Friday 15 February 2008

My most embarrassing experience

My most embarrassing experience happened when I was about 20. I was going to this boy's birthday party for the first time. I am one of those people who get lost really easily. So, he offered to meet me at the bus stop. I was supposed to get off when I saw a large shopping mall.
So, I boarded the bus and I got off when I saw what I believed was a mall. I waited and waited. Furious, I took another bus home and I called the boy's mother (there were no mobiles in those times, you see). She told me that he was, in fact, still waiting for me. She asked me to tell her where exactly I had got off and it turned out that I should have stayed on the bus for another 20 minutes.
I boarded the bus again and this time got off at the right stop. I was almost two hours late. To my surprise, the boy was still waiting.
You should have seen his friends' faces when we finally arrived to the party. They hated me for the rest of the evening.
I didn't see much of him after that.

What do you think I should have done?
How do you think I felt?

What is the most embarrassing thing that ever happened to you? How did you feel?

If you like this blog, you can subscribe to it via RSS or via email.

2 comments:

Berta said...

Hi Natasa, I read with interest your narration about the most embarassing moment in your life. I think you did well in going back home and calling the boy´s home. That helped you find out you were waiting at the wrong place. Too bad you did not see him again, but at least you both got to the party that day.
I was trying to remember the most embarassing moment in my life. I guess I am too old now and do not have a very good long-term memory, or perhaps I am quite lenient with myself and don´t think that moment has come up yet. Who knows?
Well, on second thought, I was around 17, many, many years ago and spent three months in Broadstairs, Kent, UK, learning English. The principal of my language school was going to Canterbury and I asked him if he could give me a lift to get a student traveller´s pass there. I went with him and when we got there, I found out the student office was in Cambridge, not Canterbury. I felt awful as I missed all classes that day, did not check the address well and ahead of time and could not get my student pass. The principal did not make a big fuss of this but I felt terrible anyway.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
All the best,
Berta from sunny Caracas

Natasa said...

Hi Berta, it is funny how we only remember the embarrassing experiences from our youth. When we grow older, we are not so easily embarrassed any more. We become more confident, I guess. Or we don't really care any more what other people will think of us. I remember I was very embarrassed at the time, but I don't think I would be now.
Natasa

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...